Creative Geek is a Lifestyle blog dedicated to helping people realize their desires and dreams to becoming financially independent while becoming and being their own boss. Sometimes it's hard to manage these creative passions with the pressures of the world, but it's my hope that this blog will help you through the harder times by sharing methods that worked based on my own experiences.
At 29, I quit my 9-5 job to become my own boss. If I can do it, so can you.
My name is Emily, and I'm a small-town girl turned big-city woman! I was born in Northern California and moved to Oregon when I was very young, and it was in a small rural town that I began to discover that I was no ordinary child. I found it difficult to make friends when we first moved, and so for many years I became somewhat of a social pariah as I focused on horses, drawing, writing and Star Trek rather than school events, cliques or 'girly' things. I was the kid who came to school with horse poop on her boots or with the Star Trek com pin stuck to the front of her shirt, pretending that any door she walked through wooshed like the doors on TV.
Yeah, I was a giant, closeted geek.
Fast forward to now and I'm living in San Diego, I've made a small circle of forever-close friends, and have learned the importance of embracing my inner geek because my inner geek controls my passions. I even one-upped myself and married a geek. Go me!
I learned that being true to myself is one of the greatest things I can do. And so, I write. I forum roleplay (mostly wolves). I code forums for myself and friends because losing myself for hours in creative coding and world building is, to me, a blast. I dress myself up and go to comicons. I play obscure PC games or team up with my husband on Overwatch. And at long last, it occurred to me that I'm not alone: there are others like me just trying to live their lives with their creative selves, and so I began to piece together a goal of using my writing and geeky passions to help people with theirs, and to show them that it is totally possible to be someone like me and also take charge of their life - financially and emotionally.
Because solidarity is important.
- My absolute all-time favorite show is Parks and Recreation. I've watched it start to finish at least 7 times, and I laugh and love it every single time.
- I have a heart-dog named Lelu Dallas Multipass. She's a ginger and amazing.
- My husband and I have been married for 6 years, and together for 10.
- When I'm feeling inspired to write, I binge-watch Game of Thrones.
- I've written 250+ pages of my own fantasy novel, and am hoping to finish it by Christmas 2017.
- I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and depression. It's a daily, sometimes hourly battle, but I'm learning to cope and overcome it.
- When I was around 9 or 10, I would make up my own creative dances to "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal in my living room. Sometimes I'd wrap myself in flowy curtains for maximum ethereal effect.
- I like to make horse-themed digital paintings, and post them on DeviantArt.